Road signs – An important traffic management tool.
Road signages are important to ensure smooth traffic flow without bottle necks or mishaps. Road signs give out a number of messages regarding the road and what you as a driver should expect on the road. Therefore, if followed properly, road signs help maintaining discipline on the road. They keep the traffic flowing freely by helping drivers reach their destinations and letting them know entry, exit and turn points in advance. Pre-informed drivers will naturally avoid committing mistakes or take abrupt turns causing bottlenecks. Road signs, indicating turns, directions and landmarks, also help to save time and fuel by providing information on the route to be taken to reach a particular destination. Road signs help in the following ways:
- Pre informing about the correct lanes to be taken thus avoiding bottlenecks caused by abrupt turns
- Mentioning entry and exit points on main roads
- informing about the speed limit on curves and other sensitive junctions avoiding mishaps
- Segregating heavy, medium and light vehicles on narrow roads and bridges
- Promoting road discipline by reminding about regulations on lane discipline and overtaking
- Traffic signs notify motorists of regulations, provide warning to potential hazards on or near the roadway, and provide needed guidance to destinations.
In other countries, a lot of emphasis is placed on road signs and they serve as an effective traffic management tool. They help minimize potential and common errors committed by motorists and drivers. It is necessary that in a congested city like Mumbai road signs are put up to ease congestion and help commuters navigate through the road networks.
We are taking up the issue with the government authorities and the law enforcement agencies directly and also shall request media to help create awareness and pressure on the authorities. We look forward to your suggestion and support to take up better governance.
You can send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org